Friday, February 04, 2011

how sweet the name of jesus sounds!

How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
In a believer’s ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole,
And calms the troubled breast;
’Tis manna to the hungry soul,

And to the weary, rest.

Dear Name, the Rock on which I build,
My Shield and Hiding Place,
My never failing treasury, filled
With boundless stores of grace!

By Thee my prayers acceptance gain,
Although with sin defiled;
Satan accuses me in vain,
And I am owned a child.

Jesus! my Shepherd, Husband, Friend,
O Prophet, Priest and King,
My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.

Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see Thee as Thou art,
I’ll praise Thee as I ought.


Till then I would Thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath,
And may the music of Thy Name
Refresh my soul in death!
JOHN NEWTON

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Your blog caught my eye today because I posted an article on John Newton's wonderful hymn. Interesting that you retained the word "Husband." It's usually changed to "Brother." Husband is definitely Newton's original word. I have a copy of Olney Hymns beside me as I write. But John Newton may have meant something different by the word than we think. He was a seaman. And a ship's husband, in his day, looked after the stores and provisions. Just thought you'd be interested. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info, sir!! have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete